A case like this can cost $300,000 - $500,000. The specific costs vary depending on a range of factors including the court (and province) where the initial case is filed, the approach used by government lawyers, and the expenses related to obtaining expert testimony for the case.
How much does it cost to fund a case like this?
Like and Follow
- - -
- Court date is confirmed! The case will be heard September 25 - 27, 2023.
- The case was filed with the Ontario Superior Court of Justice on October 2019.
- Served government with affidavit and evidence package in May 2021.
- Government affidavits received in late Fall 2022.
How you can help
The main way you can help is to support the case financially. We need to raise another $25,000 to cover the costs of presenting our case in court. You can support the case for as little as a dollar a month.
What to expect
- Fall 2022 - Once evidence and a response from the government is received, Charter Challenge lawyer, Nicolas Rouleau will start preparing for cross-examination and response affidavits.
- Spring 2023 - Once we have received the government’s evidence and replied to it, Charter Challenge lawyer, Nicolas Rouleau, will draft the factum
- At each step, we set a goal based on our estimate of the costs, and ask supporters to contribute to help us reach that goal, and to ensure the case can continue to move forward.
- - -
This project is a collaboration between Springtide and Fair Voting BC.